Have you ever struggled with missed deadlines, hurried work, increased stress, and lost opportunities because of procrastination?
Imagine overcoming procrastination once and for all, so you restore joy for your work, strengthen your relationships, and grow your business.
I once was a great procrastinator. My motto was, “Hey anything worth doing is worth putting off!” I felt I was “just wired that way.” But over time, I’ve overcome the Procrastination Plague and you can too. You weren’t “just born that way!”
Click here to download or listen to this episode now.
Tip of the Week: Stop This!
Stop saying you “have to”… you don’t “have to” do anything.
- What if I don’t?
- If #1 doesn’t cause disaster, why bother?
- If it still needs to be done have someone else do it.
|“And this same God who takes care of me will supply all your needs from His glorious riches, which have been given to us in Christ Jesus.” — Philippians 4:19, NLT |
When Jesus cried out, “It is finished!” the wall of sin that separated us from God crumbled, and God unleashed a flood of His grace upon us. That grace is still flowing toward us today, supplying whatever we need in this life, daily loading us with benefits!
My friend, the essence of God’s grace is SUPPLY. When you are conscious of His supply, instead of the demands of the world, you are under His grace. That’s when you will see His abundant provision for every need and situation.
So if you’re having trouble finding a job, beyond trusting God for employment, see the Lord stirring up the dormant giftings and abilities that He has already placed in you. As you hone these gifts, the Word of God declares that your gifts will unlock doors of opportunities in due season and cause you to stand before great men. Don’t just believe you’ll be employed, believe God to also prepare, grow and develop you for a position of influence in your industry!
Feature Presentation “The Cure for Procrastination“
Procrastination is NOT a permanent personality trait. If you tend toward procrastinating, you can change. But first, let’s look at some of the pitfalls of procrastination and why this is such a crucial problem.
Pitfalls of Procrastination
- Missed deadlines – Customers, clients, vendors, etc. are counting on us to complete a task or project. But when we put off completing that task or project, we fail to meet its deadline.
- Hurried or sloppy work – When we postpone a project and then rush to try and complete it, our work tends to be second-rate. We miss details and can’t give the project the attention it deserves.
- Increased stress – When we put off an assignment until the last minute, we sentence ourselves to a life of stress until that assignment is finished. Under stress like that, our health and relationships tend to suffer.
- Missed opportunities – Entrepreneur Victor Kiam wrote, “Procrastination is opportunity’s natural assassin.” When we put things off till the “eleventh hour,” we’re unprepared to take on new opportunities that present themselves. We’re stuck, trying like mad to finish the obligations that have been piling up and so these new and exciting opportunities pass us by.
- Defeated attitude – Eventually, the consequences of procrastination catch up with us and get us down. We feel bad about ourselves for all our missed deadlines, the stress we’ve caused ourselves, and for letting others down. We find it hard to climb out of this hole we’ve dug for ourselves.
- Damaged reputation – Almost without exception, when there are deadlines involved, other people are counting on us. But when we’re late or produce less-than-quality work time and time again, we get a reputation for being unreliable. And that can kill any business.
As you can see, there’s a long, compelling list of the dangers of procrastination. But what causes it? Why do we fall into its trap? A few of the reasons for procrastination might be:
- Lack of planning
- Misplaced priorities
- Lack of self-discipline
- Fear of failure
- Fear of the task itself
- Unsure of how or where to start on a project
All those reasons and more can lead us into the trap of procrastination. So, let’s focus on the cure!
The Cure for Procrastination
- Only take on projects that fit. One of the things that promote procrastination is taking on projects that don’t fit our mission, values, or what we enjoy. Accepting these makes us regret it later and we drag our feet. In the end, nobody’s happy.
- Get it on the calendar. Put your projects, tasks, appointments and any other crucial dates on a calendar that is easy for you to monitor. This is vital for breaking a procrastination habit.
- Prioritize tasks. Check your calendar often to determine what’s due when. Figure out which projects take priority and tackle them in their priority order. Make a list daily and weekly of what you need to complete to stay on track.
- Anticipate and eliminate distractions. This takes self-discipline. We especially must resist the temptation to run after those “shiny things” that present themselves to us and distract us from what’s really important.
- Follow through with action. Action is the antidote for both procrastination and fear. You’ve taken all the above steps, now follow through.
- Get help when needed. Sometimes a project ends up being much larger than we anticipated. Or perhaps the project involves an expertise that we’re short on. If so, partner with someone to help you and do this early enough that you’re not dragging them past a deadline as well.
Procrastination will ultimately kill our joy for our work, destroy our relationships and undermine our business. If you tend towards procrastination, don’t put off following through with these cures for procrastination!
Resources Mentioned In This Episode
PERMISSION TO PROSPER 2018
Ready to shake off the lies and limitation that stop you from prospering? God’s desire for you is that you should “prosper in all things, and be in good health, just as your soul prospers.”
At PTP 2018 we’ll clear the path for you to experience full prosperity, not only in the area of finance but in all 7 major zones of life: faith, fitness, family, fun, finance, friends, fulfillment.
Join us at this life-changing event, where we will help you construct your own prosperity blueprint… remove the inner conflicts about money, wealth, and possessions… and learn from our world-famous speakers, including Jeff Goins, and more surprise guests to be announced soon.
PTP is your key to unlock the vaults of wealth, wellness, and wisdom that will prosper you and everyone around you. Register now.
VIP seating and red carpet perks are also available, including personal time with Ray. To get the details, and to get your ticket now at the lowest possible price, go to permissiontoprosper.com
Subscribe to the show through Apple Podcasts and give us a rating and review. Make sure you put your real name and website in the text of the review itself. We will mention you on this show.
Get The Transcript
Right-Click and “Save As” to Get the PDF Transcript.